Podcast: Respect In the Workplace
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
ABOUT THIS PODCAST EPISODE:
Sexual harassment & discrimination in our workplaces is at epidemic proportions and a hostile workplace environment, which includes sexual harassment, is no longer being shoved under the proverbial corporate carpet.
David Freedman, Vice President of Human Capital Management at PEAR Core Solutions, shares his “wiZdoms” on what we all need to know as employees and employers about being respectful and avoiding a harassment claim.
Deidre also shares with us a very personal story in this episode. You’ll really want to hear this one!
DAVE'S WORKPLACE WIZDOMS
“Incivility is a gateway drug to harassment” -Sharon Masling, Chief of Staff at the EEOC
- No jokes allowed? Isolated incidents of teasing or offhand comments can happen at work. It becomes a problem when the frequency and severity leads to a hostile or offensive environment or adverse employment decisions
- If someone makes you uncomfortable, address it with the person. Do it respectfully, do it privately, and don’t do it when you’re angry.
- Use your empathy: Try to put yourself in the other person’s shoes, “what would I have said?”
- Know how to communicate. Use the manners your parents (hopefully) taught you. Listen more than you speak. Take a breath before you say something in a disrespectful tone.
- Recognize what disrespect is not. A tough boss with high expectations or one that asks you to do more than what is in your job description is not harassment.